Special Educational Needs | for children

Trying to get the right level of support for your child can be difficult to begin with.  We offer a range of consultation services to support you in achieving the right level of support for your child.  

We can help explain the Local Authority Framework and inform you of your entitlements.  We  can also offer a range of educational assessments to provide you with evidence of your child's learning support needs.

British Psychological Society Testing Centre

Educational, Heath and Care Plans | EHCP

Special Educational Needs or as you may hear people say "SEN" is undergoing a fundamental change led by the Government.  The current process is at best complicated, resource intensive and in many cases results in unacceptable delays in getting your child the support they need at school.

From this September the Governments new Education, Health and Care Plan will replace SEN statements and learning disability assessments, setting out in one place all the support families will receive.

SEN | latest 


An increase in the number of pupils in special schools has provided evidence of a reversal of a 30-year trend towards inclusion.

Edward Timpson talks about special educational needs reforms

The Children and Families Act 2014 has now receieved Royal Accent and will come into force from this September.  Find out how this effects your child

One in ten people are dyslexic. But having difficulty with words doesn't have to hold you back.


SEN | types

Some children have needs or disabilities that affect their ability to learn. For example:

• Behavioural/social (difficulty making friends)

• Reading and writing (dyslexia)

• Understanding things

• Concentrating (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)

• Physical needs or impairments



SEN | support

There are stages of support to try and help children with special educational needs. 

If your child is getting the help they need and they’re learning well, there’s no need for them to go on to the next stage.

If your child has high needs, they won’t need to go through earlier stages of support and can get an assessment straight away. The stages are:

  1. Early Years Action/School Action
  2. Early Years Action Plus/School Action Plus
  3. Assessment
  4. Statement of special educational needs

SEN | assessments

Either you or your child’s nursery or school can ask for an assessment from the council. They will get back to you within 6 weeks to say if they’ll do an assessment.

The council has to follow certain rules and time limits for assessing your child if they’re 2 or older.

You can appeal if you disagree with the council’s assessment of your child’s needs.

SEN | statements

Statements of special educational needs say what your child’s needs are. They are reviewed every year.

You must be consulted before a statement can be changed by the council. 

You can appeal to the special educational needs and disability tribunal if you disagree with a change.

Your local council should tell you if you’re going to get a statement within 12 weeks of starting the assessment.

If the council decides not to write a statement, it will explain why and tell you how your child’s needs will be met inside or outside school.

You can appeal to the tribunal if you disagree with a statement of special educational needs.

British Dyslexia Association